Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Crisis Averted

Ruth and I went up to Lake Nockamixon to launch the boat on April 6th. It was a beautiful day and I was all excited about our earliest launch ever. We took the cover off the boat, did spring maintenance on the motor and headed off to the lake after our traditional morning breakfast out.

Turtle buttoned up for the winter

Rigged and ready

We got the mast up with no problems. After owning the boat for 7 years we have figured out the little nuances that make raising the mast no problem. Then, disaster strikes! I had to replace the port side lower shroud and since the fore and back stay were tensioned I thought it was safe to take off the port side upper stay so I could position the new stay. Unfortunately the whole mast came tumbling down and broke the foot off the mast base. Luckily I never park next to anyone so the mast didn't hit any other vehicles.

Broken base

Bottom right broke off

Old deck plate

Being an older boat the old parts don't exist anymore! Luckily US Spars had a replacement kit but it required cutting a hole in the bottom of the mast for a halyard, replacing the mast base, and replacing the mast tabernacle. I think the new setup will be an improvement but it was an expensive lesson to learn. Always take your time and think out all your boat projects.
New exit plate for the halyard

New tabernacle

Boat is ready to go again and we hope to launch next weekend weather permitting. Luckily no major damage except for my ego.




No comments:

Post a Comment